LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone tell me  (Read 1136 times)

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

Can someone tell me
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:28:37 PM »
hello everyone I was wondering can someone tell me everything I need to know I know i need to learn to play in all the keys I mastered that already Im trying to understand the things that i don't know exist.... Can Please if you can God Bless... ALL
Music is my Best friend

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

Re: Can someone tell me
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »
You may want to specify exactly what you need to know... :-\
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »
Alot of things I just can't say but I want 2 know what's all da chords that I need to know and do I need to learn the inversions for all major and other chords
Music is my Best friend

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:56:05 AM »
This is a very BROAD question but I will attempt to give you some links that may or may not help. I'm sure that someone else will come along and add to this...You can go to the General Music Hangout to learn more....It basically boils down to not only learning scales but also learning all the theory that you can learn.

This is a collection of materials for the serious musician....particularly the Basic Progressions and chords to learn
http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,42768.0.html

Basic progressions for beginners by jjjoe
http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,51538.0.html

There are many many things that you can find that will help you just by doing a SEARCH of materials for beginners. I hope that this will atleast get you started. God bless!!

Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:49:01 AM »
i think U've started a similar thread on the similar topic.

I think U should consider doing stuff like T-Block , DaNatiMaestro & many other philanthropists are doing here:

eg. work on some chord / progression voicings & arrange them in the circle of 4ths & explain them here.
*U could learn how to improvise.
*Can U play LH rootless voicings?
* Can U incorporate other genres into your Gospel playing (eg, blues, country, salsa, spanish)?
*Can U play in other modes other than the 1st mode?
* Can U switch from playing a song in the 1st mode to the 6th mode (ie, major to minor)?
*Can U read scored music?

These are elements that will take U a closer step to being a "complete" gospel musician.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:40:51 AM »
hello everyone I was wondering can someone tell me everything I need to know I know i need to learn to play in all the keys I mastered that already Im trying to understand the things that i don't know exist.... Can Please if you can God Bless... ALL

Since you've mastered playing in all keys, what more is there for you to learn?  Make a small list of what u do know, then make another small list of what you want to know.  Only then can we be more effective in answering your question.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »

"My opinion only" but if you masterred playing in all the keys, you wouldn't be asking this question:)
:)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:02:19 AM »
"My opinion only" but if you masterred playing in all the keys, you wouldn't be asking this question:)

EXACTLY, i was kinda hinting that, LOL.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:29 AM »

It may be more of a style thing Boss Man.

He can play gospel ( maybe).

Can he play jazz, 12 bar blues, latin ( salsa, samba, bossanova), neo soul, boogie woogie, contemporary christian, stride, (and of course the ever present classical)

This thing about music is that it is so broad that you can't possibly learn everything.  But then again, Ive seen some straight out monsters in gospel, turn around and flip the script and break out some stride or latin or some type of   neo soul style as well.

So anyway   here is a list to get you started if you  mastered everything else.   If you got all this down too,   then maybe  you can give us some pointers.

jlewis

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »
I ask because I've taught myself how to play in all keys and that was the only thing I knew I could do... I just wanted to know if there was anything else I needed to know besides mastering all keys.... do I need know my inversions and any other chords I know my chord progressions......
Music is my Best friend

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »
I ask because I've taught myself how to play in all keys and that was the only thing I knew I could do... I just wanted to know if there was anything else I needed to know besides mastering all keys.... do I need know my inversions and any other chords I know my chord progressions......

Well again,    Do you know about altered chords?   Major/minor keys? Tritone substitution?  Diatonic movements?  Can you comp and/or solo.

Do you read sheet? If so, do you also play by ear?   How are your runs?.

I'm not trying to call you out,  But rather trying to figure out where you are. When you say you play in all keys, does that mean that you can learn a song in one key  and modulate it to any other key, or does that mean that you can learn  the song in any "one" key.

Bruh,  if there is one thing about music that I know, its that there is always something else to learn.

Jlewis

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:27:10 AM »

Well again,    Do you know about altered chords?   Major/minor keys? Tritone substitution?  Diatonic movements?  Can you comp and/or solo.

Do you read sheet? If so, do you also play by ear?   How are your runs?.

I don't know what altered chords are... But I been practicing with tritones.... I don't know what diatonic movements are.... yes I can solo.... I can also read sheet music and play by ear my runs are okay..... Im still trying to progress in them... Can you or anyone tell me about tritones and diatonice movements.... I hungry 2 learn I try to learn something new everyday I don't know everything but I know enough.... but I need help on other areas
Music is my Best friend

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:22:04 AM »
This is what I gather from your final statement Memphiskeys:

U know how to play your stuff given the situation.
But U have a DIM IDEA of what U'd actually be doing :(

So since U believe that U can pretty much excel in any gospel setting, I would say It's time U dedicated your time to learning your theory well.

There is invaluable information already archived here that U can print out or spend your time reading & trying to apply it. (U might find that U'r already applying the stuff in your playing, but nothing beats knowing what U'r actually doing--eg..being able to explain to a beginner like myself what you do to modulate , say from the key of D to A & then from A to G) ;)

I am also self taught & was playing stuff without much clue of what I was doing...As soon as i read the theory, it opened a wide list of possibilities for me.

It gave me confidence for starters.
I'm finding that I learn stuff faster & most importantly, can communicate with other musicians in a language that makes sense to them.

In a few weeks time, I need you to explain to me  how you solo since U said U can solo  (now that should keep U busy ;))
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up