LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI question......  (Read 1672 times)

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

MIDI question......
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:31:52 AM »
  Is it possible to midi sounds from one keyboard to another??? Im thinkin of getting a stage piano that is a full midi controller(prokeys 88) and later on getting a yamaha mm6.

I was just wondering if it is possible to play the mm6 sounds with the fully weighted keys of the prokeys 88? would it matter if both boards dont have the same amount of keys???
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline bluemagic

• LGM Member

Re: MIDI question......
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »
ACTS

I'm no MIDI expert but I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is YES, you can send MIDI sounds from one keyboard to another.  In my studio here in Maryland I have connected a Yamaha 88-key P120 Digital Piano (it is not a MIDI controller) that has a MIDI interface to a Casio 5-octave keyboard that also has a MIDI interface.  I simply connected the Yamaha MIDI Out to the Casio MIDI In.  I can then play the "weighted key real piano feel" Yamaha and can hear the sounds coming out of the CASIO as well.  If I turn down the Yamaha volume or turn "LOCAL CONTROL" OFF on the Yamaha I will only hear the CASIO sounds.  LOCAL CONTROL OFF means that the Yamaha does not play its internal voices when notes are played on its' keyboard.  I can also select what voices (piano, organ, guitar, etc.) the CASIO plays independent of what voice the Yamaha is set to.

Even though the Yamaha has 88 keys and the Casio only 61, all 88 keys will produce sounds from the CASIO but the CASIO sounds are repeated in the lowest and highest 10 or so keys.  In other words, the CASIO will not replicate the highest and lowest notes, only the 5 octaves it was designed for. 

Hope this helps. 

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
  Is it possible to midi sounds from one keyboard to another??? Im thinkin of getting a stage piano that is a full midi controller(prokeys 88) and later on getting a yamaha mm6.

I was just wondering if it is possible to play the mm6 sounds with the fully weighted keys of the prokeys 88? would it matter if both boards dont have the same amount of keys???
Bluemagic is right!  Something you might want to consider after you get your stage piano is buying a Motif rack module instead of the MM6.  For not much more money, you can get more polyphony, better effects, more sounds, etc.  It's been a long time since I bought a keyboard for sounds.  I use modules and it's great when you do studio work too.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
Hey blue,good advice from midiroom about the motif rack.Couple things to think about with your controller choices;can you set up zones/splits? how many channels does it transmit on?before you buy,maybe have the salesman hook up what you want to buy-make sure how it works.for example,if you run multiple modules,you may have piano on one channel across the board,bass in another range,horns etc.will/do you want to layer sounds? also,certain control changes;vol ume i.e,if you move the slider wanting more or less on 1 layer-will effect all the others.one of our (older) boards,if you turn vol down or changesprograms effects the modules etc.not a big deal once you get used to it,but a few suprises have fun,be blessed
Pages: [1]   Go Up