LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Hymns Do You Know?  (Read 9361 times)

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

Re: How Many Hymns Do You Know?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »
i currently use the Seventh-Day Adventist Hymnal, since i am an Adventist.

I know couple of hymns such as:

Joyful, Joyful
Amazing Grace
Safely Through another Week
Great is Thy Faithfulness
Marching to Zion
When we all get to Heaven
Holy, Holy, Holy
Thine the Glory
Day by Day
Power in the Blood

And many more..  :)

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »
I Recently Applied for M.O.M at this AME Church, I am COGIC to the CORE and Love Hymns just not sure what to expect.. Any Advice? Any hymns in particular I should learn for an AME service?

I've been playing for AME churches since 99...literally...learn how to sight read...and get good at it...

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 04:32:31 PM »
i currently use the Seventh-Day Adventist Hymnal, since i am an Adventist.

I'm SDA well, but my father (also a musician) taught me to always keep a few other hymnals at your instrument.  So I'll have the SDA hymnal (old and new), Baptist (the red one that everyone is used to seeing), AME (since I play for an AME church on Sundays), and the new African-American Heritage Hymnal...

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 04:40:03 PM »
just over in the glory land.
Shannon moore

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »
I'm SDA well, but my father (also a musician) taught me to always keep a few other hymnals at your instrument.  So I'll have the SDA hymnal (old and new), Baptist (the red one that everyone is used to seeing), AME (since I play for an AME church on Sundays), and the new African-American Heritage Hymnal...

nice.  :)

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »
Besides my favorites "Tis So Sweet" and "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" which I'm known for, there are a WHOLE lotta hymns out there.  Let's see if we can name some without repeating!  You got the Baptist Hymnal, National Baptist Hymnal, African American Heritage Hymnal, United Methodist Hymnal,etc.  whew the list goes on and on but let me start this one out and in fact, if you don't know it, LEARN IT!!!!!

My Hymn Pick: "How Firm A Foundation"

Yeah, Trina Trine grew up and was raised believe it or not in a baptist church and proud member and participator of the National Baptist Convention, U.S.A.  Just because I play contemporary doesn't mean I don't know those hymns and can play them STRAIGHT!   I just do them the "Trina Trine" way sometimes but the original way is good too!!!   Mmm hmmmm....... ;)

TOO MANY TO COUNT!!!! ;) ;)  AND THATS A RAP!!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Runs_N_12_Keys

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 10:53:33 PM »
those 1st 6 hymns i gave are definitely some, along with some basics :

What a friend
Come Ye Disconsolate
Throw out the lifeline
tedious and tasteless the hour
God of grace adn God of mercy
There is a fountain
ALL COMMUNION HYMNS

there are chants they do also, do you know them ?

Chants?? No I do not know that.. Can you or Someone please explain this to me?  I Have never played in a AME setting before..

Help!!! 

Runs_N_12_Keys

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 11:03:36 PM »
That depends on the size of the church. Ive been to A.M.E. churches that had 50 members and one that has 20,000 members. The smaller ones will probaly have more older folks who will want a lot of anthems ( james cleveland etc) and a lot of old hymns like the Doxology which you probaly already know and songs like "Yes god is real". the larger Churches will wil be VERY simular to the COGIC sevices and will probaly sing a few of the same hymns and the same choir + worship songs, but they will probaly still sing the Threefold Amen at the end of service ( you do Know that right?)

Can you read music? If you cant, Dont expect to be hired as a MOM

I suggest if possible that you visit the church on a sunday morning before the audition to get a feel for the songs and the flow of the  service. If you need help you can always ask an ame organist for a few lessons

God Bless you on your audition

Thanks U-13!! This Church Has about 700 Members, I Know Yes God is Real, but what is the "Doxology" and the Threefold Amen? ( I will try to do a Search on youtube for it)

Yes, Reading Music is a Requirement at this Church but I Can't Read and the Last M.O.M couldn't Read either so they base it off Pure skill and comprehension (Exact Words)    I Do plan on going up there this Sunday  so I will know what to Expect..

Thanks for the Heads up Homie!

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »
Oh Lord, are y'all ready for this. I am listing the songs I know out of the "Sing Unto The Lord" burgundy song book. I'll list these in alphabetical order.

A Brand New Touch
All Hail The Power of Jesus
All In Him
Alleluia
Amazing Grace
Are You Washed In The Blood
At Calvary
At The Cross

Battle Hymn of The Republic
Because He Lives
Bless The Lord, O My Soul
Blessed Assurance
Blessed Be The Name
Bringing In The Sheaves

Camping in Canaan's Land
Caught Up
The Church Triumphant
City of Gold
Come And Dine
Come Unto Me

Deeper, Deeper
Down From His Glory

The Eastern Gate
Everybody Will Be Happy Over There

Family of God
Fill My Cup, Lord
Fill My Way With Love

Glory To His Name
God is So Good
Great is The Lord
Great Speckled Bird
Greater is He That is in Me

Had It Not Been
He Brought Me Out
He Is All I Need
He Is Lord
He Keeps Me Singing
He Lives
He Looked Beyond My Fault
He Rescued Me
He Set Me Free
He Took My Sins Away
He Was There All The Time
He's Coming Soon
He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
Heaven's Jubilee
Higher Ground
His Way With Thee
Hold The Fort
Hold To God's Unchanging Hand

I Am Bound For The Promised Land
I Am Determined To Hold Out
I Am Thine, O Lord
I Believe In A Hill Called Mount Calvary
I Believe Jesus Saves
I Feel Like Traveling On
I Have Decided To Follow Jesus
I Have Found The Way
I Just Came To Praise The Lord
I Know The Lord Will Make A Way Somehow
I Love Him Too Much
I Love My Saviour, Too
I Must Tell Jesus
I Need Thee Every Hour
I See A Crimson Stream
I Shall Not Be Moved
I Surrender All
I Want More of Jesus
I Will Praise Him
I'll Be Listening
I'll Fly Away
I'll Live On
I'll Meet You In The Morning
I'm Glad I'm One of Them
I'm Going The Way
I'm Going Through
I'm On The Stairway to Heaven
In The City Where The Lamb is the Light
In The Garden
In The Great Triumphant Morning
In The New Jerusalem
Isn't He Wonderful
It Is Jesus
It Is Mine
It'll Be Different
It's My Desire
I've Anchored in Jesus

Jesus Be The Lord of All
Jesus Got Ahold of My Life
Jesus Hold My Hand
Jesus is All The World To Me
Jesus Is Coming Soon
Jesus Love Me
Jesus, Use Me
Joy Unspeakable
Just a Closer Walk With Thee
Just A Little Talk With Jesus
Just A Little While
Just Over In The Glory Land

Leaning On The Everlasting Arms
Learning To Lean
Let me Live Close To Thee
Let's Just Praise The Lord
Lift me Up Above The Shadows
Lift Up The Name of Jesus
Little is Much When God is in it
Living By Faith
Lord, Lay Some Soul Upon my Heart
Love Lifted Me

More Abundantly
My Thanks To Him
My Tribute

No, Not One
No One Ever Cared For Me Like Jesus
Nothing But The Blood
Oh How I Love Jesus
Oh I Want To See Him
Oh! Say But I'm Glad
One Touch of His Hand
Only Jesus Can Satisfy Your Soul
Only one Life

Pass Me Not
The Pentecostal Fire
Precious Jesus

Rise Again
Room At The Cross For You

Send The Light
Shall We Gather At The River
Sin Can Never Enter There
Since Jesus Came Into My Heart
Something Beautiful
Springs of Living Water
Standing Somewhere In The Shadows
Sweet By and By
Sweeter As The Years Go By

Take The Name of Jesus With You
Thank God For The Blood
The Glad Reunion day
The Glory-Land Way
The Hallelujah Side
The Haven of Rest
The Lily of The Valley
The Old Account Settled
The Old Gospel Ship
The Old Rugged Cross
The Solid Rock
The Unclouded Day
The Unseen Hand
The Water Way
There is Power in The Blood
There Shall Be Showers of Blessings
This World is Not My Home
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
To Be Like Him
Touching Jesus
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

Victory
Victory Ahead
Victory in Jesus

We Appreciate You
We Shall See The King
We're Marching To Zion
What A Day That Will Be
What A Friend
What A Gathering That Will Be
What A Saviour
When I Reach That City
When I See The Blood
When I Walk Up The Streets of Gold
When The Redeemed Are Gathering In
When The Roll is Called Up Yonder
When The Saints Go Marching In
When We All Get To Heaven
When We See Christ
Where Could I Go
Who Am I
Whosoever Meaneth Me
Wonderful Peace
Won't It Be Wonderful There

Yes, I Know

Whew!!!! My hands are tired. That's everything out of the book that I know. Can anyone beat that. :)

Offline trinatrine

• LGM Member
  • Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ....
    • The Trina Trine Music Site

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 01:44:42 AM »
Well I think that you have exhausted the hymn text reference pretty well....dang y'all can close this topic up now that we have all the songs posted....ROTF! Thaaaank yoooou for this list! ;)
No matter what people say about you, know that God has a perfected plan for you!  Remain faithful!

Offline organplaya04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • **OP04**
    • Facebook

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2007, 08:39:13 AM »
My gosh buddy looks like he knows the WHOLE book!!! lol
Psalms 133:1 " Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell(play)together in unity!!

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 08:58:10 AM »
Thanks U-13!! This Church Has about 700 Members, I Know Yes God is Real, but what is the "Doxology" and the Threefold Amen? ( I will try to do a Search on youtube for it)

Yes, Reading Music is a Requirement at this Church but I Can't Read and the Last M.O.M couldn't Read either so they base it off Pure skill and comprehension (Exact Words)    I Do plan on going up there this Sunday  so I will know what to Expect..

definitely holla at me

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »

The Doxology is the song that goes Praise god from whom all blessings flow.........

In the video he plays it both ways with the optional amen at the end

Some AME churches do either  the doxology or the Threefold Amen at the end of services. Like i said b4 try to hook up with an AME organist to show you all the service music. Every church has thier own special songs that they do and sometimes reading music makes it easier

It's not hard to learn how to read music. Just have the church pay for you to take reading lessons
It will probaly only take you a few months to be good at reading hymns and it will save you some embaressment

The first time i played at an ame church they didnt tell me i needed to play the "gloria Patri" until right before the service started But good thing i could sight read a little, so i just read the right hand and played the same notes in the left hand and played it with mininmal errors

700 members sounds like a large congregation so they Might not sing that many Devotion type songs and will apreciate your cogic backround

Runs_N_12_Keys

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 04:05:32 PM »
The Doxology is the song that goes Praise god from whom all blessings flow.........
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8WI5wusR8Gg

In the video he plays it both ways with the optional amen at the end

Some AME churches do either  the doxology or the Threefold Amen at the end of services. Like i said b4 try to hook up with an AME organist to show you all the service music. Every church has thier own special songs that they do and sometimes reading music makes it easier

It's not hard to learn how to read music. Just have the church pay for you to take reading lessons
It will probaly only take you a few months to be good at reading hymns and it will save you some embaressment

The first time i played at an ame church they didnt tell me i needed to play the "gloria Patri" until right before the service started But good thing i could sight read a little, so i just read the right hand and played the same notes in the left hand and played it with mininmal errors

700 members sounds like a large congregation so they Might not sing that many Devotion type songs and will apreciate your cogic backround

Doc,

You don't know how much I appreciate this ... You Cats have helped me out so Much, everything that you have stated and Recommended is Accurate  .. Just spoke to my Homeboy who use to play there and he said the Same thing!!!

But I am still interested in Learning how to Read Music it is something that I Should of Invested in a Long time ago and I Kick myself often for not doing it sooner, If you or anyone else have any tips on Reading please Shed with me ...

Thanks!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2007, 06:33:55 PM »
If you wanna learn to read music get the Micheal Aaron piano coarse:
 http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Aaron-Piano-Course-Lessons/dp/0898988551

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 06:50:15 PM »
Doc,

You don't know how much I appreciate this ... You Cats have helped me out so Much, everything that you have stated and Recommended is Accurate  .. Just spoke to my Homeboy who use to play there and he said the Same thing!!!

But I am still interested in Learning how to Read Music it is something that I Should of Invested in a Long time ago and I Kick myself often for not doing it sooner, If you or anyone else have any tips on Reading please Shed with me ...

Thanks!!

I'm actually going to post more clips soon of AME service music.

Offline trinatrine

• LGM Member
  • Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ....
    • The Trina Trine Music Site

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 11:53:10 PM »
Besides my favorites "Tis So Sweet" and "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" which I'm known for, there are a WHOLE lotta hymns out there.  Let's see if we can name some without repeating!  You got the Baptist Hymnal, National Baptist Hymnal, African American Heritage Hymnal, United Methodist Hymnal,etc.  whew the list goes on and on but let me start this one out and in fact, if you don't know it, LEARN IT!!!!!

My Hymn Pick: "How Firm A Foundation"

Yeah, Trina Trine grew up and was raised believe it or not in a baptist church and proud member and participator of the National Baptist Convention, U.S.A.  Just because I play contemporary doesn't mean I don't know those hymns and can play them STRAIGHT!   I just do them the "Trina Trine" way sometimes but the original way is good too!!!   Mmm hmmmm....... ;)

I thought that I would put this clip up of me playing it for those who might not know this song.  I promised that I would do it over the shoulder so here it is.  I did it the original way by reading it and then "modernized" it for those who wanted to pep it up a bit.  Love you! ;D
No matter what people say about you, know that God has a perfected plan for you!  Remain faithful!

Offline Pianist84

• LGM Member
  • La Pianista

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 01:39:00 AM »
I don't know enough hymns.... :-\ But I'm working on it though. I already made a schedule of the hymns that I will learn each week.  :)
"Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy." ~Psalm 33:3

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 02:08:21 AM »
I thought that I would put this clip up of me playing it for those who might not know this song.  I promised that I would do it over the shoulder so here it is.  I did it the original way by reading it and then "modernized" it for those who wanted to pep it up a bit.  Love you! ;D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AOxqwVO4lQg
Thanks so much!! That's a easy song for mw to pick up (both ways you did it). I have to work on that one! Love you much!! Thanks again!
MERCY EN!!

Offline Wash

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
Too many to even count.  I love hymns.  MOM for Baptist and COGIC churches.   Especially for COGIC you should know hymns in all keys or you could get embarassed when a deacon or mother starts a hymn.  I love to play instrumental hymns with keyboard strings and B3 organ to give a warm serene atmosphere worship setting.  Nothing like a hymn.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up