LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the advantage of having your symbols 8 ft. high??  (Read 1040 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

What is the advantage of having your symbols 8 ft. high??
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:47:21 PM »
Here I go again with one of my visiting church stories. I went to a church where an older cat was the drummer and when we got up, I didn't have time to adjust. All I had time to do was put my snare on and my pedal on, all while everybody is looking at me too see when I give the nod that I'm ready. (And I be feeling like I'm holding the service up, just by putting those two things on!)

And the dudes seat was real low, and his symbols were way up in the air! I had to stretch out to reach them. Now I didn't have a problem with the seat because I sit high and everybody has thier prerence with that. But the symbols up in the air?

Now even though I never understood it,  I've seen this before, but more and more people are starting to go away from it. So to get on a set like that had me struggling! Does anybody know the advantage of having your symbols that high?
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

Re: What is the advantage of having your symbols 8 ft. high??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:32:38 PM »
...I've always thought it was because people wanted to exaggerate their showmanship.   :-\

Offline shall176

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.angiehallmusic.com
    • AngieHallMusic

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:57:03 PM »
Its just preference.  Guys like Dennis Chambers had his up high, and some top rock guys in the 80's.  People see that and immitate that, and its what they become used to.  Its more efficient to have them lower though....

I'll say this as well.  When I was a kid taking lessons, the cymbals wer enot high, but to me they seemed high.  then you grow, and you are used to cymbals being high, so you either adjust, or keep raising them.  I was looking for more efficiencies, so I kept them lower.
Check it out...
http://www.angiehallmusic.com
& follow @angiehallmusic  on twitter

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »
I always thought it was because the drummers wanted to be seen. Having your cymbals setup low sort of impedes the view.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline 2TallDrummer

• LGM Member
  • Psalm 138:8
    • Myspace

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 04:37:57 PM »
My cymbals aren't extremely high, but because I'm 6' 5 they may be high to shorter drummers.  I pretty much place them where physical movement isn't restricted or unnatural.  If for reasons other than pure physicality, it's just personal preference.  Most of have at some point patterned our setup or style after some drummer we admired.  Whether they were a local or national artist.  Since we're on the topic, it's funny how people expect you to just sit down and start playing on any set.  When drummer involves a lot of adjustments.  Like you mentioned, I've had to play on sets with little or no time for adjustments and the seats have be too low and you start cramping after the first song.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »
We're drummers! We need the cymbals high because we like to flex our muscles. ;D

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 06:28:31 PM »
Symbols?
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »
Here I go again with one of my visiting church stories. I went to a church where an older cat was the drummer and when we got up, I didn't have time to adjust. All I had time to do was put my snare on and my pedal on, all while everybody is looking at me too see when I give the nod that I'm ready. (And I be feeling like I'm holding the service up, just by putting those two things on!)

And the dudes seat was real low, and his symbols were way up in the air! I had to stretch out to reach them. Now I didn't have a problem with the seat because I sit high and everybody has their preference with that. But the symbols up in the air?

Now even though I never understood it,  I've seen this before, but more and more people are starting to go away from it. So to get on a set like that had me struggling! Does anybody know the advantage of having your symbols that high?

Dude Hooked On Phonics might work for you! Its Cymbals!!!! Not symbols!!! I think you're using hooked on Ebonics!!!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 01:44:55 PM »
Dude Hooked On Phonics might work for you! Its Cymbals!!!! Not symbols!!! I think you're using hooked on Ebonics!!!

Brutal   ;D

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 02:00:30 PM »
Symbols?

As the resident Grammar Wizard, I say this:

PWWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »
Symbols?

My sentiments EXACTLY. What is a symbol ?/?
Pages: [1]   Go Up