LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jazz grooves  (Read 1325 times)

Offline bassman2007

• LGM Member

jazz grooves
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:59:51 AM »
i was wondering if anybody could help me out with some jazz basslines.

Offline uprising_bassist7

• LGM Member
  • ''God is the mighty Lion in ZIon''

Re: jazz grooves
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:44:58 AM »
my brotha all you have to do is take these scales like the jazz scale and the 7 modes and mix them together and you have some jazz grooves. the jazz scale is  C , Eb , F ,F#,G , Bb , C  and when you get the hang of doing that up try transposing that in any key

ps. it doesnt matter what note you hit when your playing the '' jazz scale'' when your grooving they all sound good  ;D
God Bless
UpRiSiNg

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »
my brotha all you have to do is take these scales like the jazz scale and the 7 modes and mix them together and you have some jazz grooves. the jazz scale is  C , Eb , F ,F#,G , Bb , C  and when you get the hang of doing that up try transposing that in any key

ps. it doesnt matter what note you hit when your playing the '' jazz scale'' when your grooving they all sound good  ;D
God Bless

if u dont mind me asking how is that a jazz scale? now i only tinkle wit the bass but i play organ and thats a blues scale thats used in a churchy setting

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:14:05 PM »
I have the same question. Definitely would like more insight. Please guys give us a little insight. I am check the Jazz book posted in another post. Will check back for more info.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »

if u dont mind me asking how is that a jazz scale? now i only tinkle wit the bass but i play organ and thats a blues scale thats used in a churchy setting

jazz is more of a timing thing than a note thing!...i say just know what note you need to land on in terms of the chords being played and go chromatic!

any patterns will do as long as they flow in a jazzy rhythm!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »
C , Eb , F ,F#,G , Bb , C 

hate to nit-pick, but that's the blues scale.

however you do have the right idea when you say using scales and modes and mixing them together
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:23:05 PM »
JAZZY EXAMPLE!

you're really good i wish i could afford you stuff but when i get another job i will hit you up

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 10:45:55 PM »
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 02:06:13 AM »
you're really good i wish i could afford you stuff but when i get another job i will hit you up

...no..no..no...Reggie Young is good!...I just share what I know!

but thanx anyway!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 07:52:50 AM »
i was wondering if anybody could help me out with some jazz basslines.
Are you referring to 'walking' basslines? Is so, it's pretty easy as long as you are familiar with your scales and have a decent knowledge of rhythms! Basically whenever there is a chord change, you need to land squarely on the root note (on the 'one') and in between chord changes, play different types of scales paying close attention to what notes sound good and what notes don't!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline Groovesmith

• LGM Member
  • Daddy and his little blessing from God.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 08:22:25 AM »
Uriah your a joker always being sarcastic.  Hahahahahaha. Keep on sharing what you know.
Groovesmith

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »
Jazz scales?  You are opening a huge can of worms there!  Work on your scales and modes and have fun with them.  Jazz is all about feel and sensitivity.  Learn the basics and discover Jazz for yourself and hook up with a good Jazz pianist, drummer or both if you can.  You be suprised how much you can learn from a pianist in this music form, especially when it comes to scales, use of space and soloing.  A good Jazz drummer will give you the groove and pace you need to fit everthing into place.  It's a continual learning curve and you will discover new things all the time. That's what makes it so fun!  I could email you every scale and progression I have, but you will find more and even come up with some yourself.  Most of the Jazz lines I play have come from experimenting and listening closely to old Bebop records.  A great record to listen to for budding Jazz bass players is Miles Davis, Autumn Leaves.  Paul Chambers played bass on that record and it is a great starting point to understand a Jazz bass players role in a band.

A little story!  A guy that I really respect is my friends dad Ray Greenwood.  He is 70 this year and has been playing Jazz since the age of 14.  Awesome double bassist!  I jammed with him one time with my KYDD 5 string and Ray emulated a few of my lines.  He then said "I love those progressions!  Don't mind if I steal them for my next performance?".  Wow!  I don't really consider myself to be a good Jazz musician, but that was a very humbling experience for me.  Like I said, no matter what standard you are you will always pick up new things.  Even though most people view me as a rock musician, Jazz has been the backbone of everything I have put my hand to over the years.  Not the scales, modes and progressions necessaily, but the musical and technical attitude every style of music that I have played.

Sorry that I babbled on a bit.  I love talking about Jazz!

Pages: [1]   Go Up