LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the problem with different styles  (Read 14867 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: What's the problem with different styles
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 11:11:27 PM »
::)

JAY-Z SHOUT

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 11:22:32 PM »
Oh snap, Bishop White has a whole new building and changed the name and errthang... LOL!!!

I haven't been there in years.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 11:32:38 PM »
Oh snap, Bishop White has a whole new building and changed the name and errthang... LOL!!!

I haven't been there in years.

Yeah They Doin BIG things there. I go there all the time,  And I learned how to play the organ by watching his musicians. But his son is truly an awsome preacher so If your ever in town stop by on a tuesday night

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »
Yeah They Doin BIG things there. I go there all the time,  And I learned how to play the organ by watching his musicians. But his son is truly an awsome preacher so If your ever in town stop by on a tuesday night

Who, Anthon?  I thought Anthon was out in Eastern LI?  Last time I went to his church, it was out near Riverhead or something...  ?/?

And I know all about those Whites... grew up around them.  Used to sing with Anthon in the state choir.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 07:59:43 AM »
Who, Anthon?  I thought Anthon was out in Eastern LI?  Last time I went to his church, it was out near Riverhead or something...  ?/?

And I know all about those Whites... grew up around them.  Used to sing with Anthon in the state choir.

Yeah Anthone preaches there on tuesday nights and on 4th sundays. He is the The Assistant Pastor, And he still Pastors Kings Chapel in South Hampton Though I've never been there

Offline Spyda1989

• LGM Member
    • Videos of Me Playing the Keyboard

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2008, 04:45:13 PM »
This conversation is razor sharp on all its sides because the original poster did not really clearly state what he meant or maybe he did not realize the hole he was digging for all of us here.

I strongly believe that breaking out into Brickhouse in the middle of worship should get you shot.  I also believe that music is like liquid.  It should be able to be poured over everyone without missing much.  In other words, a true music ministry knows how to bring it home to Jesus by reaching EVERYONE and alienating NOONE. 

What may be great for the twenty somethings might disrupt the sixty somethings in the congregation.  If music actual gets in the way of what God is trying to do, it should be removed. 

So, I guess you can ask yourself this.  When you are playing a hymn and the mood takes you to do something with it that is 'fresh', ask yourself if you are Glorifying HIS name or trying to satisfy your own vanity.  If what you are doing will bring people closer to Him, I say seek ye da funk.  If it will otherwise, distract from the Message at hand... Use your head.

I play a few jazz services every now and again.  This is different than a gospel service as the music is lighter and set up for more of a lighter sound.  We do not use organ on these Sundays.  Only piano, bass, drums and sax.  It is a tool to refresh the congregation from perhaps their getting stale or that deer in the headlights look that happens when people do the same thing over and over.  Again, it is a tool to bring people back in focus with God.  We have used theater and dance for the same reasons.  It refreshes the mind so that you are ready to receive God's word. 

You are never on the platform for yourself...

speak brotha!!!

Spyda
------
Spyda

Offline bishop424

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »

I am going to tell it like it is:

I have been playing gospel music for over 15 yrs and I have been discourged, snapped at, and even lost music gigs.

Our Job as musician is to explore and learn different styles of any music because that is how we can grow and to capable.

Now you have some people in most churches that do not like or be afraid of change. They like things the way they are. If we don't change then we will be lost.

Now I like change and I will continue to learn different style and I don't care if the members of the church likes it or not. Because I get paid to do a job and I intend to carry out that job.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »
Welcome to the LGM family "bishop424".....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline godsbassman2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
I'm not taking a side (althought I have one), I have a few questions.
Does the music please GOD and edify the audience?
Is it ministry or entertainment only?
I do believe gospel music should do more than make you want to dance (not knocking dancing). It should make of think of God's in some way. Different style? Fine. The message should not change.

Since I'm from a different generation and don't care much for most "Contemporary Gospel", I went to the young folks. I asked them if the music moved them spiritually. The answer was NO. The vast majority of them told me that they listen to the beat not the words. Why?

"You can't glorify God and yourself at the same time"

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2008, 09:57:49 PM »
I am not against style differences.  I am against trying to be 'hip' just to be 'hip'.  If you are not getting the Power of the message across with the new 'style' you are introducing then you FAIL the entire point of playing in church for GOD.  If you do not understand his point or do not care to want to understand this point then maybe you need to take a step back and re - evaluate whether of not you really should be the one up on the platform to begn with.  This is not about pay or position.  This is about what the One, undeniable POINT of REFERENCE that all FOCUS should be pointed toward whenwe are playing in church.  Maybe the young ones are loosing touch because we, as musicians, half this same "who cares" attitude...  WE SHOULD CARE!!!  We ae responsible for what we do in the name of the Lord.  Remember thatnext time you get into an ego driven hissy fit about wanting to take you congregation in a direction musically whether they like it or not.  If they do not like it you are working AGAINST the message of God because you are in fact shutting people's very ears to the Praise we are suppose to be lifting to HIM.  Do not let your own vanity slide over your eyes and cause you to lose the real reason why you go to church...

If you want a more creative outlet, start a band.

Wolf

Offline bishop424

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
Based from experience: I love all types and style that what makes me grow as a musician. When I am playing for churches I have to think about the churches envoirment. If I have young people who like to sing and wants to learn Contemporary then I will teach it because it's for them. When I have older adults I would do something different for them. When you have praise worshipers I got something for them and when you have deacons who wanted to back down south I got something for them. Now do I ask myself it's it for entertainment no its for ministry because every in congeration is looking for the word. It may not be from a minster, or pastor, but be from musical stand point. If we single out any style that fit a person profile then we can lose them. Of course they will go to another church to find what they are looking for.

I can say that to it's not about the money but it about movement going to the next level and make a difference. You can't pleased eveybody because someone is going to say something about your style.

Think about this for a minute: If I hire you to minister in music, pay you the amount that you ask or that we require, and you get a complaint from a congeration about your style of playing.

I will back you up because you are doing what GOD asked you, I am glad that I hire you to do the job and you like what you do and play and create. Thats growth.

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 08:41:33 PM »
Based on some of the replies, Kirk Franklin better run for cover with "Stomp" (sample of Funkadelic's "One Nation Under A Groove") & "Looking For You" (from Patrice Rushen's "Haven't You Heard").

RUN KIRK, RUNNN! lol 8)

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
Quote from: under13 link=topic=46506.msg486349#msg486349

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5J0RlQJ8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5J0RlQJ8c[/url]

^^^^ The music sound very cool! ^^^^

BTW, you guys don't play any latin in your church?
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »
^^^^ The music sound very cool! ^^^^

BTW, you guys don't play any latin in your church?

I aint been there in a minute. I need to go and get inspired.

They Can play Latin style, But they Dont during service, though they should consider it being that the are located in a latin community

Offline meoiste

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2008, 01:11:40 AM »
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA MARCU12 SO YOURE SAYIN WE CANT EVEN USE THE SAME CHORDS??!?? SO IF I MAKE UP A RANDOM TUNE AND IT HAS A F9, JUS LIKE IN A SECULAR SONG, CHORD IN IT, I CANT PLAY THE TUNE?? I MEAN COME ON HOW BOUT JUS BAN INSTRUMENTS IN CHURCH SO NO ONE WILL "ACCIDENTLY" PLAY A SECULAR CHORD. THERE ARE SO MANY SONGS THAT SHARE CHORDS AND PROGRESSIONS SO HOW WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO NOT USE THESE CHORDS AND PROGRESSIONS?? SO THAT MEANS SOME OF THE GOSPEL SONGS THAT WE SING, LIKE I WILL BLESS THE LORD AT ALL TIMES, SHOULD NOT BE SANG. WOW. OK FIRST OF ALL WHAT MAKES UP A SONG?? MUSIC AND WORDS, RIGHT? WHAT MAKES A SONG BAD?? IS IT THE MUSIC OR THE WORDS?? ITS THE WORDS.

GO AHEAD EVERYBODY USE ALL CHORDS. (WHEEW!) NEVER FEAR MEOISTE IS HERE!

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »
I aint been there in a minute. I need to go and get inspired.

They Can play Latin style, But they Dont during service, though they should consider it being that the are located in a latin community

I wasn't asking about the guys in the video. It's a question for everyone here. :)

BTW, what type of style of music is that called in the vid above from 0:12-0:30sec?   
I really love it.     Thanks.
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2008, 06:33:37 AM »
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA MARCU12 SO YOURE SAYIN WE CANT EVEN USE THE SAME CHORDS??!?? SO IF I MAKE UP A RANDOM TUNE AND IT HAS A F9, JUS LIKE IN A SECULAR SONG, CHORD IN IT, I CANT PLAY THE TUNE?? I MEAN COME ON HOW BOUT JUS BAN INSTRUMENTS IN CHURCH SO NO ONE WILL "ACCIDENTLY" PLAY A SECULAR CHORD. THERE ARE SO MANY SONGS THAT SHARE CHORDS AND PROGRESSIONS SO HOW WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO NOT USE THESE CHORDS AND PROGRESSIONS?? SO THAT MEANS SOME OF THE GOSPEL SONGS THAT WE SING, LIKE I WILL BLESS THE LORD AT ALL TIMES, SHOULD NOT BE SANG. WOW. OK FIRST OF ALL WHAT MAKES UP A SONG?? MUSIC AND WORDS, RIGHT? WHAT MAKES A SONG BAD?? IS IT THE MUSIC OR THE WORDS?? ITS THE WORDS.

GO AHEAD EVERYBODY USE ALL CHORDS. (WHEEW!) NEVER FEAR MEOISTE IS HERE!

a. Stop shouting (using all caps).

b. What makes a song bad? It's ability to take a listener on a journey. That can occur via the music OR the words.

David played his instrument, skillfully, to ease Saul when he was tormented by the demon. He didn't sing, he played:)

Have a nice day.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2008, 03:20:48 PM »
I wished some *&%
whoa i needed this. i had an encounter with an older deacon of the church the other day that snatched the cords out of my motif and my amp. HE ALMOST GOT HIT FOR THAT. thank God i was able to surpress that anger and humble myself with a swiftness. he didn't like what i was playing it was some lick i can't even remember it wasn't a song though. he hit me with scriptures up and down i hit him with a bunch of common sense but i have some scripture to play his game now. thanks  ;D

Spyda
I wish some *&%$# would come and touch my rig!!He wouldn't have time to get a scripture out before those lips started swelling up!!!
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2008, 05:58:07 PM »
I wished some *&%I wish some *&%$# would come and touch my rig!!He wouldn't have time to get a scripture out before those lips started swelling up!!!

o_O  :-X :-\ :o :'( >:(  ?/?

:)

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2008, 09:39:44 PM »
o_O  :-X :-\ :o :'( >:(  ?/?

:)

I know it may seem harsh, but thass just plain disrespectful and I paid too much for somebody who has no business touching anything to be messing with stuff they cant replace........All right I wouldn't hit em.... probably. But It would be an ugly situation.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up