LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winding sound in Organ  (Read 1043 times)

Offline cwgolden99

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Winding sound in Organ
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:43:53 PM »
Ok, after 4 or 5 months of having my organ (CV) I finally talked someone into helping me carry it upstairs.  When I cut it on there is a winding noise in it.  Sounds sort of like and engine revving up.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline hammondboy

• LGM Member

Re: Winding sound in Organ
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:00:33 PM »
Does it have a vintage speakers with it then have the speakers checked or the fuses. if you got the leslie have that checked
I can do all through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Phil. 4:13

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:36:01 PM »
CV's don't have internal speakers, so the question would be...is the winding noise coming from the organ? If you have a Leslie speaker, is it coming from the Leslie? If it's coming from the organ, it's a little harder to diagnose. There is a run motor and tonewheels that continuously turn inside when the organ is on. I'm only making an assumption here, but it could be the run motor. Again, I won't stake my life on that so I'd get a tech on that problem. They'll be able to identify and fix the problem.

If the winding noise is originating from the Leslie, it's most likely the motors. Have they been serviced recently? Have the slow motors been adjusted for proper tension (assuming you're using a 2 speed Leslie).

Good luck.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:58:07 AM »
hey cw,are you starting the organ properly? the older organs have 2 motors;you start by holding in the left switch-then(still holding it)  push the other switch forward holding both for abot 5-10 sec to get motors up to speeed.

Offline cwgolden99

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:18:50 AM »
hey cw,are you starting the organ properly? the older organs have 2 motors;you start by holding in the left switch-then(still holding it)  push the other switch forward holding both for abot 5-10 sec to get motors up to speeed.

Docjohn, yes I'm starting the organ properly.  The winding sound is coming from the organ, not the cabinet.  I don't know when was the last time it was oiled so I'm thinking a little oil may help.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
Yeah, stick some oil in there and let it run a while, see if it helps any.

Offline B-3playa

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 01:53:47 PM »
Take it from me. My CV does the same thing, especially if it cold... This is an indicator that it does need some oil.....

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 03:32:15 PM »
A note about oiling....

DON'T go crazy.

Just fill those two cups on the top of the assembly.

When you go to put oil in the small rectangular "tub" connected to the vibrato scanner and on top of the run motor....just moisten the padding you find in there. DON'T fill that tub. It only needs a bit.

I'm talking about the "tub" on the left most part of the organ when viewing from the rear.

The oil on that wadding or packing travels down those cotton threads by capilary action and you just want a bit there. If you over-oil you run the very good chance of fouling the vibrato scanner and causing it to "motorboat".

And remember that the problem or symptoms might not immediately disappear, but don't be tempted to add more oil to hurry things along. The oil needs to work it's way down and around....so be patient. Give it a few weeks before considering any more oil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up