LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How close is too close???  (Read 2640 times)

B_XALTED

How close is too close???
« on: May 04, 2006, 06:31:30 PM »
How much of a relationship (outside of church) should a pastor have with his congregation???

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: How close is too close???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »
How much of a relationship (outside of church) should a pastor have with his congregation???

Please, in the future, don't use this color. It's hard to see.  :)

Thanks.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

B_XALTED

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:44:05 AM »
so are you going to answer the question or not??? what diff does it make about the color?

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »
Maybe no reply because some of aren't sure. I know I was sort of uncomfortable how my pastor became another father figure towards my cousin after he destroyed the relationship with his own. It wasn't just myself, but everybody could tell it was just not necessary to be calling her out in church as my daughter. It started to get a little weird and now that he has left the church and started his own, she has gone and followed him...
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

B_XALTED

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 12:09:31 PM »
I was wondering because my cousin just mentioned her pastor staying at her and her husbands house for the weekend... Never seent that before...

Offline stevenf977

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 12:57:01 AM »

I think the best answer to that is look at Jesus Relationship with his Disciples.  They were close and I do think that the Pastor should be the example of being devoted to the body of Christ.   Also lastly the church is the people so if he is fellowshipping with the people in his flock then thats good. 

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 12:09:08 AM »
I think the best answer to that is look at Jesus Relationship with his Disciples.  They were close and I do think that the Pastor should be the example of being devoted to the body of Christ.   Also lastly the church is the people so if he is fellowshipping with the people in his flock then thats good. 

Bad example!!!...Yeah but all church members can't be disciples....I have a very tight relationship with both of my pastors (cell phone numbers and all) but that's because I work directly with them, through music ministry.  It is not necessary for the preacher to have relationships outside of the church ESPECIALLY if they are not making an attempt to associate with him outside of service...
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

B_XALTED

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
Bad example!!!...Yeah but all church members can't be disciples....I have a very tight relationship with both of my pastors (cell phone numbers and all) but that's because I work directly with them, through music ministry.  It is not necessary for the preacher to have relationships outside of the church ESPECIALLY if they are not making an attempt to associate with him outside of service...

I feel what you are saying...

Offline Fantom

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Corey B ~~ San Diego CA
    • Just Us Butlers

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 12:15:30 PM »
GOOD TOPIC...
MY WIFE AND I DISCUSS THIS ON OCCASSION IN REGARDS TO THE RELATIONSHIP A PASTOR HAS WITH HIS CHURCH.  I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED TO STICK TO SMALL CHURCHES AND NOT GO INTO A "MEGA MINISTRY" OR A "REALLY BIG CHURCH".  I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TALK TO "MY PASTOR".  I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO THE AIDE OF THE PASTORS AIDE. DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT.

MY PASTOR IS ALWAYS CLOSE TO HIS CONGREGATION AND IS CONCERNED WITH EACH AND EVERYONE OF US.  HE CALLS WHEN WE AREN'T AT CHURCH. NOT TO BE NOSY, BUT TO HONESTLY INQUIRE IF ALL WAS OKAY.

PROPS TO MY OVERSEER STEPHON P. DONALDSON OF GREATER JOY CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP HERE IN SAN DOG!!!

DID I VENTURE OFF THE QUESTION??

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 06:44:21 AM »
As a former member of a 'small' church, and current member of a 'mega ministry', I find that I don't have a problem with the 'mega ministry'. If I need to, I can still speak with my Pastor directly. I'm not worried about whether or not my Pastor notices if I'm missing from church or Bible study, I have my fellow members who will either call or ask about my whereabouts when next they see me.

I really feel that 'mega ministries' get a bad rap.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

B_XALTED

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 08:54:35 AM »
I dont want to get this mixed up with a pastor simply showing interest in his/her members, what i am asking is... Does your pastor come sleep over at your house? does your pastor always seem to be 'chillin' with members outside of church??? I don't look at the pastor as my HOMIE... That's kinda where i was going with the question. Eventhough the church i used to go to, which is a large church, had counselers who would call us when we were MIA... the pastor rarely called... I now go to a smaller church, in a different state, and things are not run like that... I am not saying that MY pastor is like that, for those who asked... but i know a lot of people who tell me they were at the mall with their pastor, went to the movies, was at a bbq, was kickin it at the house with the pastor.... How many of you feel that is inappropriate??? I feel that when a person in leadership gets to close to those whom they are leading, and they don't keep that LINE clear to those whom they lead, respect can be lost, and misunderstandings arise.... Ya feelin me now???

Offline MaMia1229

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 01:51:05 AM »
I personally think there should be a boundary line between pastor and congregation no matter what size the church is. Nah I don't know what goes on n everybody else's church, but in MY church (which is about 300 strong (on christmas, easter...lol).. people tend to gossip...and once that gossipin gets-ta-goin about pastor " been talking to this group over here alot" or "yeaa pastor was seen going to this place with such-n-such yesterday"...that tends to stir up unneeded confusion which, if gone untreated for a while, can eventually wreck a church! Sooo that's why i feel like i do. In my case, for instance, the pastor's children are involved in almost everything in the church...and his family basically makes up the musicians pit...and EVERYBODY says that its a conflict of interest!....and I agree!! Our pastor lets his children doo sooo much stuff till its almost like he puts the congregation to the side!..its absolutely ridiculous! Pastors should recognize everybody as part of the congregation on Sunday Morning...(this includes deacons, trustees, CHILDREN, Wife (1st Lady)...everybody!)

Offline kashawn

• LGM Member
  • ~!J@ZZY!~

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 08:38:14 AM »
i think the pastor should have a relationship with the congregation.
~!Blessed by th3 B3ST!~

Offline Rudy686

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 11:56:55 AM »
Think of the Church as your family.   :)

B_XALTED

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 04:41:48 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the Pastor having a relationship with the members... But how close is too close is the question... So it's cool to be all up at the Pastors house every weekend, Calling him to go kick it, crossing the line... Him spending the night at your crib... all up in his Lexus...lol... that's the question. When you present yourself too friendly, a barrier is crossed. Pastor/Congregation relationships are too important for the Pastor to be seperated, but there should be a visible line....

Offline amrlion

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 08:29:42 PM »
pastors are people too, and need an "inner circle," just like everyone else, but other than that it's best if they keep a professional distance, for the sake of maintaining their privacy/personal integrity.

Offline dionnar

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 05:47:34 PM »
My pastor is my Godfather.  For me personally I feel that it is my responsibility to maintain my respect for him and who God has made in my life regardless of our personal relationship.  He basically is my real father and even his wife will tell you that she does things to make sure that the call and the casual (marriage) do not conflict so that when he speaks as a man of God she receives it that way.  It is our responsibility as individuals to discipline ourselves, especially as saints, to be aware of the fact that we can play multiple roles in each others life and must respect each other across the board.  I basically learned to respect my pastor as my Daddy, my pastor, with me as one of his ministers and even in business.  Also remember that our pastors are still individuals that have personal lives and realistically have different outlets of recreation and wisom in ministry and outreach.

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise is what I do

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 06:01:13 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the Pastor having a relationship with the members... But how close is too close is the question... So it's cool to be all up at the Pastors house every weekend, Calling him to go kick it, crossing the line... Him spending the night at your crib... all up in his Lexus...lol... that's the question. When you present yourself too friendly, a barrier is crossed. Pastor/Congregation relationships are too important for the Pastor to be seperated, but there should be a visible line....

Is this pastor married??

B_XALTED

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 09:38:03 AM »
Is this pastor married??
That was an example.... and Lord I would hope nOT!
Pages: [1]   Go Up