LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reversed P-Bass Pickups  (Read 899 times)

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

Reversed P-Bass Pickups
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »
Anyone know if there's any sound or tonal difference between regular P-Bass Pickups and Reverse?  I ask because I noticed the Ibanez SR300 Bass has the P-Bass pickups reversed.

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

Re: Reversed P-Bass Pickups
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:33:57 PM »
Don't quote me on this one, but to my understanding pickups are symmetric.  So flipping a pickup upside down shoudn't change the sound.  The physics should be the same (under symmetric conditions). 

Offline Flatwound

• LGM Member
  • Make a joyful noise!

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »
Hello,

I guess the difference would be that the pickup that is under the D&G strings would be closer to the neck, so it would sound a little deeper. Placing a pickup close to the bridge (like the one under the E&A strings) would cause it to sound a little higher.

I know it is just a 1/2 inch or so, but Jazz basses sound different from the 60's to the 70's just because the bridge p'up is closer to the bridge by about a quarter inch.

I have a reverse p-p'up in my '81 Yamaha BB400. I sounds great. Smooth over all, but not as big and boomy as a Fender P.
Gilden Creek Third Baptist Church, Pastor C. Wayne Bowser

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:28:04 PM »
Cool, thanks for both answers.  I was hoping it was the D-G pickup that was moved toward the neck.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »
Don't quote me on this one, but to my understanding pickups are symmetric.  So flipping a pickup upside down shoudn't change the sound.  The physics should be the same (under symmetric conditions). 

Someone told me the same thing and this guy has being around and he's well respected in the area.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up