LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Advice for band practises...  (Read 1330 times)

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Need Advice for band practises...
« on: February 27, 2006, 09:01:02 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I need help. I am currently doing volunteer music ministry with 3 churches where I live (Auckland, New Zealand).
Now, there is one church that I have been appointed to "create" & maintain a band for youth services, programs etc.

Please give me advise for running practises that: are only once a week & will cater to more than 2 bands in the one practise.

The issue(s) I have is that:

A) There's SO MANY youth interested in this "new band" that every practise I am having to deal with enough people
to have at least 2 bands every practise. This includes singers.

I've actually had to go this way because going through music with them is just not logical if they were one HUGE group.
Even then, having more than one band is surplus to youth dept requirements (I did discuss having more than one band... they weren't interested).
Also seperate band practise times can't be organised because... I already have 2 other churches that I'm working with & they aren't willing to give another day
 to more practise.

B ) I believe the youth themselves are not interested in the band for God's ministry. They are just excited by the novelty of having a band. Even the youth dept is excited by the novelty!

Now I'm okay with that. I expect that from the youth but I won't stop reminding them - who gave them their musical talents, why there is such a ministry & who the real praise should be directed at. But when the youth dept gets caught up in the novelty as well...  ::) it's time for a reality check.

All help is gratefully received.

Be blessed

Offline Holy Roller

• LGM Member

Re: Need Advice for band practises...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 12:09:14 PM »
do the youth have their own Choir or group ?? you sound like you are too busy to handle this much.

I would delegate this or tell the leadership there is just too much going on for me to do in one evening.
why don't you interview these young folk and find out who is really serious and develop one set band? you are going to have to weed out the ones who are not in it for the right reasons. the ones who are will learn to vibe together and flow. that is important.
Time will tell who is in it for show or for whatever. I would either delegate someone to be over this or narrow it down.
wished I could be of greater assistance

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Re: Need Advice for band practises...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:23:08 PM »
do the youth have their own Choir or group ?? you sound like you are too busy to handle this much.

Yes they currently have a youth choir & a main choir. The youth choir is run by my brother.
In the future we (him & I) are looking at integrating the band into the choir as well.

Yes I am busy but this particular church has not been good to its youth - in the sense that it is a conservative church & has been
restricting youth development since before my dad's time. So even the "idea" of having a band was greatly debated by church members for a good 2 months.
All in all, I felt God move me to break the reflected negative attitudes the youth have built towards church & life in general.

Barring that, no one else cares...

I would delegate this or tell the leadership there is just too much going on for me to do in one evening.

I am trying to develop some leadership skills in selected youth that I have picked out who are making the effort so
I don't have to lead. I am giving myself 1yr at least.

why don't you interview these young folk and find out who is really serious and develop one set band?

Yeah, I am dealing with alot of youth who think that they'll just show up to band practice, have a jam, have a laugh & go home. I gave them a each form to put onus
back on them. It's difficult to interview them as anything serious they'll assume is negative. Stupid, but as I said above its a reflex reaction of behaviour received from the rest of the church.

For me self-sacrifice is a non issue if I haven't helped these young people break their negative attitudes.

you are going to have to weed out the ones who are not in it for the right reasons. the ones who are will learn to vibe together and flow. that is important. Time will tell who is in it for show or for whatever. I would either delegate someone to be over this or narrow it down.
wished I could be of greater assistance

Yes, I realised time will weed out those who aren't interested or in it for the wrong reasons. Time will also make things go back to one band. I will just have to endure this "novelty" period. You have been more help than you realise.

Thank you & God Bless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up